Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Simply Say Yes!

"Just say no!" I hear this a lot. People look at what's on my plate and tell me to stop saying yes to things, take time for myself, slow down. Well guess what, sometimes you just can't say no. Life is a roller coaster and right now I'm chugging my way up the steep climb to the top before the fun of the effortless, speedy decline, wind in my hair, laughing out of pure joy occurs. I used to stress about the stress of my schedule and that just made me literally almost lose my mind. Literally. And while I still have some moments of insanity, I'm getting better at not stressing over the "yes's" I continually have to say. As soon as I accepted that right now I'm in a busy season of life, everything became easier. I let up on myself and I stopped worrying about offending people with my busy schedule. I simply accepted that right now I must say "yes, I can meet from 8-10pm after class to work on our group project (even though I've been at work since 8am)" or "yes, I need some girl-time. Happy hour? (no matter what homework is waiting for me at home)" or "yes, I can attend that meeting (even though I have about 100 emails waiting for me in my inbox)" or "yes, I will be skipping out on socials and groups to complete my class assignments for the week (even though I'd rather be hanging out and I also know I'm a bit MIA right now)". So onward to another few months of yes's and the knowledge that there will be time for no's...sometime in the semi-near future.

But don't worry, I do stop to rest every so often. In fact, tonight I think I'll take advantage of that fact that today is Leap Day, which means I technically have an extra days to get things done. Normally I wouldn't have today, so I'm going to pretend it's a "freebie" day and tonight after class and a group meeting, I'm not going to open my computer, I'm not going to open my books, and I am going to open some wine and a movie. Thank you, Leap Year, for allowing me to make up an excuse to have a simply restful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment