Monday, February 13, 2012

A Simple Lesson: Stay Present

It's been awhile since I've put words on a page that weren't required by work or school.  Honestly, I'm a bit overwhelmed with everything on my plate - school, a mentoring program, Live a Life of Love, working full-time, Lauren Alisse Photography, and maintaining friendships. While I love it all, truly I do, I find myself swirling around in a sea "stuff", attempting to swim to the top, but never actually reaching the surface to catch a breath.  But you know what I have had time to do!? Think about the future. A lot. Like, a lot a lot. It's been awful. I find myself playing out scenarios and conversations that I'm absolutely convinced will happen, but probably never will. It's unhealthy for so many reasons.

For one, if you (I use "you" in the "all of society, including myself" sense of the word) waste time thinking about what will happen, you will most certainly miss what's happening now - the smells, the sounds, the feelings of life just as it is. Even if you're in a difficult place, like I feel I am now, there's something to be said for enjoying life for what it is, as it is right now. Never again will I know the feeling of information overload about non-profit management, strategic planning, and how to increase the revenue of my small business thanks to my MBA program.  Nor will coffee taste the same as it does now, because I appreciate it so much how it brightens my tired mornings. Time with friends will never mean what it does during this busy time, because there's a very specific purpose for each one of them right now. These are just a few of the small things I need to remember to appreciate each day. Every time I get caught up in the "what-ifs", I miss out on the little moments life is currently providing me.

Another reason why it's so unhealthy to worry about the future is because you can't control the future, so there's really no use stressing about it. Easier said than done, I know.  But really, you can mentally prepare yourself for all sorts of different scenarios, but you won't ever know what's actually going to happen until it does. Unless you possess some super power that allows you to control people with your minds, endless amounts of worry about the future are pretty much a complete waste of energy. Instead of worrying, I'm trying to trust myself that four months from now or even five years from now when I'm faced with decisions, uncomfortable situations, and just plain life, I will be fully equipped to handle it, because I've spent the here-and-now growing, learning, and experiencing life. Each moment builds on the previous one and if you spend too much time worried about what will happen and not present - not open to learning from what's happening now, you'll never be able to handle the future you're so desperately worried about.

Be present. That's what I keep telling myself. Each time my mind starts to drift, I pull myself out of the future and focus on what I'm doing right now. Right now, I'm writing a blog. I can sense the way the keyboard feels when each finger hits the keys. I can hear the sound of the click-click-click with every punch of a letter. I'm taking in the sound of my most favorite music and the smell of my most favorite candle. And this time right now is therapy. Writing is therapy. So right now I'm ok. I'm present and I'm ok.

Finding a moment to breathe and be present.


No comments:

Post a Comment