Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Simply Swing

A simple year, huh? This whole living simply thing is a bit harder than I thought it was going to be. While I've been able to remove the clutter, the stuff, and the things behind, the busyness of life has completely taken over my life. I haven't done a very good job of finding time to rest and it seems as though life has just been too busy to be simple. I took a trip to Mexico last week, but that story is for another day. It was one of the most amazing trips of my life and exactly what I needed to restart my perspective on life. With that fresh breath of air, I've been able to take things day-by-day instead of feeling like I'm swimming for the surface to reach air and unable to ever reach the top. However dramatic this sounds, those four days changed how I view what's important in life. This past weekend I was able to complete school, work, and life's tasks without letting the nitty-gritty get to me. It was freeing. And today I did something completely unexpected that was incredibly peaceful...I swung on a swing. Yep, I know it sounds silly, but I took a little jog down to the local park on my lunch break and after my normal outdoor workout routine I was about to head home when the swings caught my eye. It's not like I haven't swung on a set of swings in a while...I've had my fair share of swinging during hang out sessions with the little tykes in my life, but this time it was just me and the swings. No one else was around. I wanted to swing.

So I hopped on those swings, took out my headphones, closed my eyes, and started to swing. Instantly, joy and peace rushed over me. It was as if I was just a kid again without a care in the world. I probably looked so silly swinging all giddy and cheerful alone out there, but it didn't matter one bit to me. I was a happy, blissful girl. Needless to say I had a little extra hop in my step during my jog back home.

This was a great reminder to myself. While that trip to Mexico was unbelievable, a simple thing like being a kid for 5 minutes on that swing did goodness for my soul. Keep it simple. Keep swinging.






No comments:

Post a Comment