Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Simply Make-Up Free

Last year for lent I gave up make-up for forty days. It seemed like an eternity to me. I was the girl who always looked put-together. I couldn't leave the house without a little foundation and mascara...ever. So I decided to let go of the thing that kept me chained to the bathroom mirror 20 extra minutes and that determined if I would feel good about myself that day. Going make-up free for forty days was one of the best things I could have done for myself. After I got over the initial shock of seeing myself without that goopey stuff, I began the process of learning to love...ok, maybe not love...but accept who I was, just as I was - not the put-together version I had come to think was me.

This year I wanted to make the same sacrifice. While I don't depend on the stuff like I used to, I noticed that make-up slowly became something I "needed" again, not something that was just nice to have. Well, I failed. I couldn't give it up. I made the excuse that I woud participate in the World Vision Sacrifice for Lent (which is awesome, you should check it out: http://www.worldvisionacts.org/) and that that would be enough, but secretly I knew I was running away from the sacrifice I needed to make.

This week's World Vision Lent Challenge is: Sacrifice What Defines You. Dang it! My internal dialogue began and before I knew it, I became overwhelmingly convinced that I needed to go make-up free...even just for a week. So Sunday was my last day without make-up (for a few days, anyway) and I have to admit, it's been a challenge. I can almost say it's been harder this time around than it was last year. I'm afraid to go out in public, I'm afraid people will see me for who I am, I'm afraid of not living up to the Lauren that "always looks put together".  Then I was reminded by a dear friend that people love me not because I seem put-together (because believe me, I am SOOOO not). So over the last few days I've come to realize, again, that make-up doesn't define me, it isn't what will give me purpose in life, it doesn't give me love.

Whether you practice lent or not, I think there's something positive that can be taken away from sacrificing what defines you. Maybe it's make-up, maybe it's your job, maybe it's a relationship. Challenge yourself to simply give it up. See what happens!


No comments:

Post a Comment