Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Simply Gluten-Free

Without getting into too much detail, let's just say that I've lived with some awful "stomach issues" for as long as I can remember. No doctor, friend, or Google search was able to come up with a solution for me. Then I started hearing about this gluten-free thing and while I was skeptical at first, I finally caved into try it because I had pretty much tried everything else. OH MY GOSH I had no idea life could be so...um...normal. Fad or no fad, cutting gluten from my diet has changed my life completely. That and eating more simple, whole foods. I have some friends who can eat any sort of processed anything, but unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you want to look at it) my stomach can't handle anything that's over processed. So now I'm on a quest for a lifestyle change - to eat more simple, whole, gluten-free foods (oh ya, and meat-free too...by choice not for stomach reasons).  I'm only on week number three of this lifestyle change, but I'm already loving it! I eat salads a lot, but found a few more exciting yummy, simple, gluten-free recipes I wanted to share:

Peanut butter or almond butter spread on apple slices 
and topped with gluten-free granola:

Avocado slices on gluten-free bread topped with a little
season salt and pepper:

Gluten free foods found at Fresh and Easy:

Portobello mushroom caps instead of pizza
dough. Top with your favorite pizza toppings. 

1/2 c light corn syrup, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c peanut butter
melted together and poured over plain popcorn:

On the back on this plate is a Southwest Salad - corn, black 
beans, tomato, cilantro, avocado, and cucumber. Squeeze one
lime over the entire salad and add a little salt to taste. Makes enough 
for 4-6 people:

Cut sweet potatoes into wedges, drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper 
and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes:

No comments:

Post a Comment