Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Project: Simplify Home - Part 2

A few weeks ago I unshamefully (yes, I just made that a word) shared with the world wide web my disastrous, messy, unorganized room. While the disarray in my room was exacerbated by my recent, "I must get rid of everything" raid, my ability to keep my room neat and tidy had become a daily battle because I was unequivocally faced with way too much stuff to keep tucked away in the drawers and hangers so nicely designed for said organization. I completed part 1 of Project: Simplify Home by finally going through every last piece of material objects I own and bagged up over, wait for it...25 large garbage bags of pure "stuff".  Yep...over 25 bags.  Slowly I moved onto Part 2: paint, refresh, redesign, and create a space that was more than a room, but a sanctuary, a study haven, a place of peace and relaxation.  Since this is my year to live simply, I wanted a place where I could come back to myself. Where I could simply study quietly. Where I could simply relax. Where I could simply read. Where I could simply rest. It took a while to finish up everything, but I think my room is finally done!  A bucket of paint, a day or two indoors, and some thrift store excursions was all worth it for months and months in a space that feels simply good.

First, a little re-org! By moving my bed to one side of my room and my desk to the other, I created a literal divide between my "work space" and my "rest space". Doing this helped me mentally separate the two and gave me more floor space to read on the floor (yes, I love reading on the floor), do some crunches, or maybe even a cartwheel - who knows!


Next, I got rid of the "stuff" that was just sitting there not being used. My keyboard was a good idea in theory, but I never play it and it just sat there collecting dust. I decided I needed the $60 I could get from selling it on Craigslist more than I needed it for the once a year I played it.



Time to paint! I have a wall decal of a verse that I didn't want to lose when I painted. To keep the verse, I traced over the decal lettering with puff paint, let it dry, then painted my wall.  I left a fan on as I painted it so the puff paint wouldn't run down my wall.
The decal before puff paint.

Starting to add the puff paint.

Time to add the paint.

Half way there!

Done with the gray paint.


Done!
 

After finishing the paint and frame, I realized the look was too subtle. I wanted a way for the verse to stand out.  I took a piece of cardboard and white paint and brushed it over the raised lettering. It created a vintage/worn-out look. The style may not be for everyone, but I love the way it turned out!

Close-up
With the frame - iPhone picture...sorry!
 
Now time to clean up that dresser/jewelry area! I got ride of so much clothes, jewelry, and accessories.

Before
After

 Once I finished my "rest" side, I moved over to my "work" side.  
Before
After
Here's a close up of my "inspiration frame". I wrote simple things that inspire me on tags and strung them along and empty frame. When I'm doing work or homework, I have this to look at to give me a little boost of inspiration. 



And last, but certainly not least, I finally got around to hanging my favorite photos from my trip to Europe. Sometimes it feels as though Europe was a dream. But when I stop and look at these photos, it's as if I'm transported back to that special place. I get an overwhelming feeling of peace and happiness. :)

All of these frames were either a gift or I collected them at thrift stores!






4 comments:

  1. Your room looks beautiful! I love love love the puff paint painting, it came out rad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your style Lauren! Your inspiration, creativity and organization never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such an amazing job. You are almost inspiring me to tackle my dining room. Nice jn Lauren, you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete